2017-2018 Family 15's
9-24-17 - Jesus’ Birth - 2nd Article of the Apostle’s Creed
- What are your favorite Christmas memories?
- How can we keep the Christmas spirit all year long?
- Do we ever focus on the wrong things during Christmas?
- Tell a story about a time you trusted God like Mary did.
10-8-17 - Jesus’ Baptism - What does Baptism indicate?
- Share stories about different baptisms you have witnessed and remember.
- Share memories from each person’s baptism and show any baptism artifacts you may have (candles, shells, certificates, etc.)
- Parents: When your child is sick, you might wish you could take his/her place. What has being a parent taught you about Jesus’ love?
10-22-17 - Jesus’ Temptation in the Desert - 6th Petition to the Lord’s Prayer
- What are some temptations you have dealt with throughout different stages of your life?
- Why were those temptations so big at the time (what was so attractive about the sin)?
- What can we learn from Jesus’ temptation in Matthew 4?
- What is your favorite Bible verse, and how could it be helpful to remember when you are tempted?
11-5-17 - Jesus Calls His Disciples - 2+3 Petition to the Lord’s Prayer
- What does it mean to you to be a follower of Jesus?
- What special gifts, abilities, and talents has God given you to grow His Kingdom?
- What gifts do you see in each member of your family?
- Offer a word of encouragement to each person about how you’ve seen their gifts in action.
11-19-17 - Jesus Talks to Nicodemus about being “born again” - What is Baptism
- Talk with each other about the day you were born. Parents, what do you remember about that day? What details can you share?
- If you have been baptized, chat about what that forgiveness, life, and salvation from your baptism means to you now. If you have not been baptized, share your reasons why, and talk about the gifts God is ready to give you in baptism.
- Read the story of Nicodemus together and discuss what it means to you.
12-10-17 - Jesus Teaches Using Parables - 5th Petition + Office of the Keys
- Parents have you ever “lost” your child? Students, have you ever been “lost”? How did it feel for parents and the child in each situation? Read Luke 15:3-7 together and reflection.
- Knowing there are many lost people all around us who do not believe Jesus is their Savior, what can we do differently this week to join Jesus on His mission to finding them?
- If forgiveness is the key to heaven, how should our interactions with each other at home look?
1-7-18 - New Year’s Reflections
- If you could let go of any one thing from 2017, what would it be? Why?
- If you could pick up any one thing for 2018, what would it be? Why?
- What spiritual goal do you think your family should pick up for 2018? Why?
- How can you work together as a family to reach that goal and hold each other accountable?
1-21-18 - Lazarus - 2nd Article of the Apostle’s Creed
- Parents, which of your friends (if any) have stood the test of time? What qualities of Jesus do they possess that might have contributed to their lasting friendship to you?
- What does it mean for you when you hear that Jesus is 100% human?
- What does it mean for you when you hear that Jesus is 100% God?
Dear Jesus, thank you for coming to earth and being fully human. You understand my struggles because you have lived them yourself. Thank you for being fully God. You are powerful and even death cannot stop you. Fill me with the Holy Spirit so I desire to know you personally and worship you always. Amen.
2-4-18 - Jesus Journey into Holy Week - 2nd Article of the Apostle’s Creed
- What does it mean for your life that Jesus is a King?
- What does it mean for your life that Jesus is a servant?
- How can Jesus be a King and a servant at the same time?
- Knowing Lent will begin on February 14th, is there something you want to give up or add to your life for those 40 days? Why?
2-18-18 - Lord’s Supper and Peter’s Denial - 2nd Article of the Apostle’s Creed
- If you already take Communion, how do you prepare yourself to receive it each week? Students, what can you learn from those who participate in Communion?
- Why is the Lord’s Supper such a big deal at St. Peter? (use Luther’s Small Catechism to help you find the answer)
- What are some mistakes that you wish you could take back? Do those mistakes define you, or how did you move on from them?
Dear Jesus, thank you for your gift of Holy Communion. When you come to me in such a tangible way, I know how much you love me. As a broken sinner, I come to you. You and you alone can heal, forgive, and restore me. Help me confess all my sins to you (known and unknown) so I may receive your forgiveness.
3-11-18 - Jesus Condemned, Crucified, and Risen from Dead - 2nd Article + Law/Gospel
- Do you have any crosses hung in your home? What does the cross remind you of and/or how does it make you feel? Do you actually think about what it means or is it just decoration?
- Jesus said on the cross, “It is finished.” What do you think that meant? What does that mean for your life?
- How do you feel when you think about death? Why? What does Jesus’s empty tomb have to tell us about death?
Dear Jesus, when you died on the cross, you did it for me. Help me to remember that all my doubts, worries, sins, pain, and sorrow are only temporary. When God looks at me, he sees me covered in your blood. Because of you, I am forgiven and free. Thank you for the hope of life eternal with you. In your name, Amen.
4-8-18 - Easter Celebration
- What are your favorite Easter traditions? Why?
- What would it look like for you to live every day like Jesus is risen from the dead?
Dear Jesus, you have overcome death and that is reason to celebrate. Help me to live every day like you actually rose from the dead. Let my life be a living celebration and proclamation that your words are true. Give me obvious opportunities to tell people about you and your love. Give me the strength to share that news without fear. In your name, Amen.
4-15-18 - Holy Spirit Sent - Life on Mission
- On a scale of 1-10, how are we doing as a family when it comes to living life on mission? Why do you give us that rating?
- What “good things” might we have to say no to in order to focus on “great things” like living life on mission?
- How do you believe God created you uniquely to serve others and share his message? How are you (or are you not) fully living in that calling?
- How does “life on mission” look different than a mission trip or service project?
- How can we hold each other accountable to living a life on mission this week?
Dear Jesus, you made each and every one of us uniquely. Thanks for giving us the ability to live life on mission. Because of you, we don’t have to love others, we get to. Help each of us see the ways we can join you on your mission instead of just sitting on the sidelines. In your name, Amen.
4-29-18 - Holy Spirit and the Holy Christian Church
- What does it mean to you to “be the church” instead of “go to church”?
- On a scale of 1-10, how are we doing as a family when it comes to participating in the body of Christ? Why do you give us that rating?
Dear Jesus, you didn’t create church to simply be a building. You said that we are your temple, your body. Help us to “be the church.” Thanks for giving us a location and resources to worship you, but let our worship be more than just songs on Sunday morning. In your name, Amen.
Final Family 15 for the school year…
- What would it look like for our family to be on fire for Jesus this summer?
- Make a plan to continue growing with each other and Jesus this summer.
- Resources that might help:
- Youth Ministry To-Go Boxes
- Youth Ministry Summer Activities
- Resources that might help:
Learn more about both resources at www.FullLifeInChrist.org/C4